Friday, February 25, 2011

Why Did Joseph Weep?

The story of Joseph is a moving reminder of God's love.  He went from favored son and hated brother, to successful slave, prime prisoner, to prime minister!

There is one particularly poignant portion. Joseph had been in Egypt over 20 years and his brethren came to buy food.  They didn't realize that this hard "Egyptian" leader was actually their brother.  When Joseph mentions "I fear God" it seems to jog their conscience.  Their dirty deed of 20 years ago comes bubbling up from their guilty consciences.  They had ignored the pitiful (pit-full :-) ) cries of their brother and sold him into slavery.  As they are conversing among themselves, Reuben says

(Gen 42:22) And Reuben answered them, saying, Spake I not unto you, saying, Do not sin against the child; and ye would not hear? therefore, behold, also his blood is required.

Through the years, I imagine that Joseph lamented the fact that ALL of his brethren had so turned against him and that no one had cared about him.  Now, as he hears Reuben, he understands that at least one had cared and tried to help him!  He is overcome with emotion and leaves their presence to weep.

Knowing that someone cares is a powerful incentive to continue on in our journey for God.

Yet even if you feel you are all alone, we are never alone. He will never leave us nor forsake us.

(Exo 34:5) And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD.

God will stand with us, if we stand for Him!

1 comment:

Merrice Nash said...

Hello Sir, I started reading Genesis again last week; my goal is to read the bible through before the end of the year. I've been slowly reading about Joseph's life, once again it is a blesseth reminder that, we're not the one who directs our lives, God is. Often I think of the path God sat me on years ago, I've never regretted it nor do I fail to thank him over and over again. In my limited ability to formulate words of praise and thanks unto God, I do not feel there are words to express the gratitude and love of my heart to God the father, Son, and Holy Spirit for the grace and mercy shown unto me and this reminder is what keeps my heart and gives me the desire to want to please God in every aspect of my life.

As I thought about Joseph's life and circumstances, which his brother's meant for evil. I do not read anywhere, where Joseph cried, murmured or complained unto God, the only time I read of him crying was when he was face to face with his brothers and father. I thought, shame on me as my heart failed me because of how much I've cried over my small battles rather than reminding myself of Joseph's' words, "God sent me."V:7

I'm thankful not only for the reality of my risen saviour, but also to have him in my life knowing he is in me and I am in him continually being reminded that, he will never leave nor forsake me and brethren, neither is it in my heart to forsake him!