Thursday, August 31, 2006

What would you do if you knew?

Asa became king and began putting the kingdom in order. He took away the altars of the strange gods, cut down the groves (they were used in idolatrous worship) and commanded Israel to seek the Lord and do His commandments.

How it happened, I don’t know. The zeal waned, the work slowed, the fire fizzled and Asa needed some help.

Asa is like a lot of us. When Christ comes in our lives, we go “Great guns for God”, full speed ahead and feel as if we could take on hell with a water pistol.

Then it happens. Slowly. The comments about “getting religion”, the remarks about being a little overboard, the fear of no longer fitting in, and we pull back, but just a little. “Great guns for God” becomes “Simply slingshots for our Savior”, full speed ahead, well that’s a little dangerous, don’t you think? We need some help.

In Asa’s hour of need, the Spirit of God came upon Azariah, and he prophesied to Asa. “God is with you, as long as you are with him! If you forsake Him, He will forsake you.”

Asa heard loud and clear. God is with me?! He is at my side?! Then I don’t need to fear! I will do what I know I need to do. And he did.

He took courage and:
• Removed the idols
• Renewed the altar of the Lord
• Gathered the people together to make a covenant with God
• Commanded them to pray, and if they didn’t, had them put to death
• Even removed his mother from being queen because she was an idolater

What would you do if God sent someone to tell you “God is with you!”
• Hey! God is with me; let me get rid of these idols in my life.
• Hey! God is with me; let me renew my covenant with Him.
• God is with me! Let me become a soulwinner and gather others to hear the good news!
• God is with me! Even if my family doesn’t live for God, I will!

What would you do if you knew…God is with me?

Mat 28:20b …and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

No comments: